Electric rates (In New England) are headed north this winter, with dramatic hikes of 37 percent for homes and 75 percent for large businesses (In Massachusetts)— “shocking” increases that consumer and retail advocates say come at the worst possible time.
Because the pipes that bring natural gas into the region have not kept up with increased demand for natural gas, the companies generating electricity for National Grid and others to deliver to consumers must pay more for the gas, according to National Grid
(JohntheRiver:If the cost of natural gas is the root cause of the higher electric rates then what will natural gas cost when delivered straight to our homes this winter for heating, hot water and cooking?)
When reality differs from the smug expectations of the Government experts it’s “surprising”, when the long march of interference, political pandering and bonehead decisions come home to roost it’s “shocking”.
Perhaps to thee, but not to me. I think I can say that I’ve been waiting for this.
- Forced closing of Coal fired power plants.
- Subsidized preferences for Solar and Wind power (even after the cautionary examples from Europe of the shortcomings).
- (In Massachusetts) the waste of years and millions in the failed attempt to build deep water natural gas terminals in Boston Harbor and Fall River.
- NIMBY (Not in my back yard) stonewalling over any and all attempts to build new gas transmission lines to the North East.
- No new Nuclear Energy Power Plants. Or the slightest hope of any.
Other than the item on new or expanded gas pipelines, none of the media stories I’ve read have talked about the other real causes of the coming Gas-Tastrophe or that the real causes are all political, and NOT technical. (All plans or objections that are based on carbon reduction or carbon capture are 100% political and not based on verified observation or proven science.)
So this winter some people will die since at the lower end of the social scale they will be forced into a choice between buying food or paying for energy, starving or freezing. Some businesses will be laying off workers, some businesses will move to sunnier (and less bone stupid) climes. But first, in November, the voters of Massachusetts will elect the same loony nitwits that created this disaster in the first place.
This Winter/ What to do?
People will suffer. Jobs will be lost. What can be done? What are our choices?
- Wind & Solar: No. Useless, most expensive form of electrical power. Plus no existing power plants can be replaced because when the sun don’t shine and the wind don’t blow then 100% of the load must be maintained by something that works.
- Off-shore Natural Gas terminals: No. Takes years so no help this winter. Plus, requires rescheduling LNG tankers of which there are a finite number and scheduled years in advance. But no reason not to push forward since this isn’t the last winter Massachusetts will face (I hope).
- Gas Transmission Lines (Pipelines): No. Again takes years. So get started.
- Nuclear: No. Years/Decades. But new Next Generation Nuclear is the perfect fix for New England. The nuclear plants of the ’50’s and ’60’s contributed to the good times that lasted for several decades. Then we dropped the ball. The Chinese are building the Thorium cycle and Isotope power plants that we designed and never were allowed to build. I’m not holding my breath but I’m crossing my fingers.
- Re-start existing Coal Plants: Yes! The only solution that can help us this winter. Cheaper too! Even helps out other Americans in coal producing states. But the biggest likely delay from Green lawsuits by consciousness bastards who don’t give a damn about those poor starving and freezing souls who are their own supporters.
Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Politics created this.
Politics (as usual) will create an almost impossible barrier to correcting it.
Politics have been hijacked.
Politics are not serving the people, but are used to control them.
I want to really “Shock” the decision makers. I want to make them accountable for all these myriad mistakes and this Gas-Tastrophe.