Cover fire for the Veterans Scandal in 5..4..3..2…
‘These terrorists have the blood of Americans on their hands’: McCain leads Republicans hitting out at ‘illegal’ Guantanamo Bay prisoner release in exchange for America’s only prisoner of war
- Five senior Taliban members are to be handed over to Qatar as part of deal
- Obama criticized for sidestepping law that requires him to alert Congress to release of terror suspects
- One detainee is accused of presiding over a mass killing
- Qatar has agreed to to host the detainees for at least one year
The five Afghans are among the most senior members of the Taliban being held at the controversial camp, and include one who had direct ties to Osama bin Laden.
As well as warning of the potential threat releasing these men could have, other Republicans have accused Obama of breaking the law by sidestepping Congress.
War criminal?: Mohammad Fazi is believed to have been at the command of a mass killing
Congressman Howard McKeon and Senator James Inhofe said on Saturday that the President has to give Congress 30 days’ notice before transferring terrorists from U.S. facilities.
Their statement was made just hours after it was announced that soldier Bowe Bergdahl was headed home after being held captive for five years by Islamist insurgents.
The five detainees being released as part of a deal to save Bergdahl are among the most senior Afghans held at the controversial detention camp.
The White House responded to the Republicans’ statement, saying that ‘unique and exigent circumstances’ mean the transfer was agreed outside of the legal requirement.
The men being released include Taliban ministers and commanders. One of them, Mohammad Fazi, is accused of presiding over a mass killing of Muslims in 2000 and 2001.
Human Rights Watch has said that Fazi could be tried for war crimes over the mass killing, which took place as the Taliban tried to consolidate their control over Afghanistan.
Others who are to be released include former Taliban deputy intelligence minister Abdul Haq Wasiq, who served as the Taliban deputy minister of intelligence; Mullah Norullah Nori, a senior Taliban commander and Khairullah Khairkhwa, who had direct ties to Mullah Omar and Osama bin Laden.
UPDATE: Also reported by the Daily Mail that this “deal” wasn’t so much a deal but a capitulation to terms dictated by the Taliban. They set the conditions and handpicked which of their people that we were holding were to be released. Many, many people are going to die because of this, including many American soldiers. Unless we get all of the rest of our troops out now. Lets not emulate the British retreat and massacre in Afghanistan. I keep asking, “Now can we call him a traitor?”
And (Also from an English paper)
Was Taliban PoW a deserter before he was captured and held for five years? Soldier ‘sent emails that he was planning to leave his post after becoming disillusioned with the war’
Pity we didn’t trade Obama, well, throw him in for free. Then the Taliban could decorate him. Amazing, he finally outdid himself. I believe this could be worse than Benghazi!!
In regards to my headline. No, there will be no Vaseline.
Philip Kiko, Lobbyist for Muslim Advocates, Am-Arab Anti-Discrimination Appointed to Benghazi Select Committee
• American-Arab Anti-Discrimination
• American Association for Affirmative Action
• American Federation of Teachers (AFL-CIO)
• Amnesty International
• Equal Justice Society
• Global Rights
• Immigration Equality
• Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund
• Muslim Advocates
• National Black Justice Coalition
• National Center for Lesbian Rights
• National Center for Transgender Equality
• National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
• National Committee on Pay Equity
• National Council of La Raza
• National Immigration Forum
• National Immigration Law Center
• National Organization for Women
• Open Society Policy Center
• Sierra Club
• Southern Poverty Law
• and most of the member churches of the liberal National Council of Churches