Should I or shouldn’t I? (polls closed, insufficient votes)

Rule 5: The Science Is Settled

I used to publish a newsletter (on-line) and sprinkled in with the news and interesting bits some photos of beautiful women. All the readers on the distribution list were guys. I’ve avoided adding any eye candy to the blog and then I read this entry, what do you think?

Comments are always active, so please comment.

Or perhaps a poll?

Update: Nothing? No comments, not one vote on the poll.  Tap! Tap! is this thing on?

OK, its simple. Do you want to see this…

Or this…

Or this…

About On the North River

Forty years toiled in the Tel-com industry, married for 36 years widowed at sixty-one. New girlfriend at sixty-five. Was a Tea Party supporter. Today a follower of the Last American President to be honestly elected, Donald J. Trump.
This entry was posted in Blogbits, Photos and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Should I or shouldn’t I? (polls closed, insufficient votes)

1. Dr. Mercury says:

Okay, I voted, and it looks like the No’s have it, 100% to 0%.

Good ol’ democracy!

Yes, it lowers the tone to the gutter level of Theo Spark. It serves no purpose except to announce to everyone, “Stand by, there’s more sexy pics or wacky things to come!” This isn’t to say you shouldn’t have any fun — the occasional break is okay. But nothing ‘overt’. That sandy babe pic would be perfect, with a caption like, “And they said beachcombing was dull!” Just a brief break.

I’m sorry about your wife. I, too, am 61, but I have the whole opposite story. To the best of my knowledge, I never dated anyone I wanted to marry, nor anyone who wanted to marry me. So I’ve always been alone. At least you had something. On the other hand, it’s easier for me because I’m used to it. But that makes it no less sad.

Your comments in my 2012 threads are a riot — please keep contributing. We need more rants and anger. Goddam conservatives need a bomb lit under them to get them to budge.

As far as this goes:

“I’ve put your 2012 Speak Up! icon on a sidebar on my blog, but frankly something bigger and brighter is needed. Work on it.”

I have it on a Notepad file open in front of me. I noticed the ‘my blog’ part and decided to drop by. Stock WordPress theme, but you’ve done a nice job with it. The one thing you need to do is install FCKEditor. That’ll give you both a better Dashboard editor and give us a nicer comments editor.

See you on Mag’s,
    Doc

2. Dr. Mercury says:

I resisted the urge to vote again and make it 200% to 0.

“Tits gits hits.”

What a nice sentiment, and so charmingly put! If I were a male college sophomore and was getting a blog site going, tits would be one of the FIRST things I’d put on the site. Betcha!

Now, of course, since you brought it up, you’ll be forced to answer the toughest question of all.

Okay, you want lots of hits.

Why?

Without advertising, what possible good does it do? Do you alter your writing style or topics if you’re writing to 1,000 people rather than 10? Aren’t you now just pandering to the hungry mob; just another hack, just another shill for your own vainglorious ego?

I told you it was tough.

That’s what Bird Dog’s never been able to answer me. He always wants more hits, but he never answers me when I ask him ‘Why?’

BTW, if you wonder why no one comments (apart from the general lack of traffic), it’s because they have to (cough!) SUBSCRIBE to the site just to have their comment posted. 99% of the people seeing the email with the big ‘SUBSCRIBE’ link are gonna go, “Er, no thanks.” You need to open the Dashboard, Settings, Discussion, uncheck “A comment is held for moderation” and “Comment author must have a previously approved comment”. You don’t want to play moderator if you don’t have to, and that second one being checked by default is really bizarre. This is going at it from the wrong direction. Worry about too MANY comments, then deal with it.

Homework time:

I finally got what you meant with your “Work on it” comment. You meant the friggin’ ICON! But I took it to mean “the problem of getting a Republican elected and what we can do about it” (I always was the overachiever), and next week will turn my thoughts on your suggestion into a post. Since I’ll be mentioning you by name, I’ll want to link to your blog. If you want to whip up something special over the weekend, send me the link sometime Monday in one of my posts.

Got that editor downloaded yet?

3. (Went off to see Harry Potter DH part 2 this afternoon, just got back)
    Many thanks, I thought I had “test drove” the comment feature early on by logging in with a back-up ID, but I missed a few things.
    (editor?) No, I’m on the download page and reading about it. I seems to me that since I don’t self-host but run the blog on WordPress I shouldn’t be able to load programs to the server but we shall see.
    I’ll try to answer your challenge question about hits. First, feedback can help. I don’t plan on running the blog to make other people happy, but if I do agree with the feedback I’m getting then I will probably make changes.
    Since I’m hoping that a lot of people will see and follow some of the political links and maybe some of that will be information someone might not have otherwise seen and might make a difference in 2012. I think a lot of web surfers tend to go to the political blogs that they agree with already, and not visit the blogs of the “other” side. As a kayaking and photography blog (I’d better start doing a hell of a lot more kayaking and photography to keep saying that) I may get some visitors from the other side. Exposure to one new idea or story can sometimes spark a epiphany, who knows what that spark may be?

4. Dr. Mercury says:

Good replies to the ‘tough’ question. You did a lot better than Bird Dog ever did. 🙂

As for the domain, yeah, I see now that you’re on the official WP site. Forget the editor. You might check around (or in the options) and see if there’s a better comments editor available. This one really bites donkey dick. No italics, links, nuttin’.

Do you mind if I make some tests? Let’s try some HTML. Angled brackets first, since that’s ‘real’ HTML, then square brackets as blog sites (using PHP) use.

Is this italicized? Is this bold?

[i]Is this italicized?[/i] [b]Is this bold?[/b]

Does it understand embedded links?

Does it understand [url=http://www.docmercury.com/rainy/the-last-laugh]embedded[/url] links?

Here goes!

5. Dr. Mercury says:

Is this italicized? Is this bold?

[i]Is this italicized?[/i] [b]Is this bold?[/b]

Does it understand embedded links?

Here goes!

(I can’t decide if it went through or not. It should refresh the page, but I’m still in the editor. I’ll try it again. If you get a dupe message, delete it.

• Just saw your post, it got flagged as spam. I had to release it from durance vile. The double post did it I think. Let me try to answer your test questions.

Is this italicized? Is this bold? (yes)

[i]Is this italicized?[/i] [b]Is this bold?[/b] (yes)

Does it understand embedded links? (seems to)

A friend of mine, Doug, is off his duff and voting the poll. Doug used to live for many years in MA, so he’s aware of the old Massachusetts motto, “vote early and vote often”.

6. Doug says:

Good Evening,
    I voted for the twins.
    And i have some to send.
    SF
    D

7. Dr. Mercury says:

We notice that the ‘Ayes’ now have it in the poll. My question, Mr. Blogger, is, since you so obviously wanted the Ayes to win, what’s the going rate for shill votes these days? Ten bucks a pop? Fifteen? Whatever it was, I hope you saved a little to help pay for the attorneys’ fees when it turns out one of the models in your pictures isn’t registered and therefore could be underage.

Okay, so it understands standard HTML but not PHP. That is, the angle bracket code that you’d see come out of a web editor, not the square bracket stuff like we use on Maggie’s.

Let’s try a few more things. Listing?

It’s possible this blogger has publicly admitted:

He lives in the South, and not just the South, mind you, but the
    South
    South!
    Flies the Confederate Flag with pride
    Drinks mint juleps to remind him of the good ol’ days before The War of
    Northern Aggression
    Is a hard-as-nails red-ass redneck who could chew you up and spit you
    out before breakfast

Left Wing:

Pluto

Bad teeth

Dementia

Angles in Heaven

Pictures??

You did say you were saving up for those attorney’s fees,
    right?

I doubt it was displayed, though. Pictures use the ‘IMG’ command, which it probably ignores. There’s too much potential for mischief to allow commenters to post pics.

The problem you, as the blogger, have is not being able to slip a handy ‘Info’ link somewhere in the comments area so the gang can learn the tricks. Even if you knew how, you don’t have access to the actual page templates, just the ‘themes’ and such. You can use the Text widget and stick it on the sidebar. Text widgets accept HTML, like a link.

Okay, blast off.

8. Dr. Mercury says:

Okay, if what’s displayed above is accurate, then the only thing it knows are italics, underline, bold and embedded links. The first three are just U, B and I surrounded by angle brackets to begin, and started with a slash to end. Like so (but in angled):

[i]Starts the italics, [/i] ends it.

The embeded link code is:

Check out [a href=”http://domain.com”]this[/a] site.

Again, in angled brackets.

Oh, we forgot to check strikethrough fonts:

The blogger who runs dis joint is your typical Bible-thumpin’, gun totin’, dawg-lovin’ right-wing ultracon a really nice guy!

And there’s also the really old styles, asterisks, underscores and slashes.

*Bold?*

_Underlined?_

/Italicized?/

Font sizes?

I have a COMPLAINT!!!

Havin’ some fun now, huh?

9. Please don’t put more work into this than I do!
    Did some socializing today, my wife was very active in the volunteer scene locally and had many friends. Since it’s summer and we had a nice patio and garden I had some of these friends over and cooked, which is how I deal with my loss. So, just getting to the blog.
    I get what you said about the comments and placing a INFO or “House Rules” splash page. I should work on that. The other issue is what different Themes especially premium themes might add to the pot. But, without spending to much money (unemployed and fixed income ya know)
    As far as the results of the poll goes, I’m also going to keep in mind the low number of active voters, three or four people might not be enough to make a change.

10. Dr. Mercury says:

Howdy –

As far as themes go, almost all of them are free. I’m not sure how the WordPress site does it. Can you import themes, or does it limit you to what choices there are? I’d suspect the latter, in the sense that not all themes are compatible with every version of WordPress, so they probably don’t want any additional tech issues. The ones they offer have probably been pre-tested and approved for whatever version of WP they’re using. But go ahead and check. If there’s a way to import a Zip file with a new theme in it, let me know and I’ll send you to some sites. Did you see the demo page on the SpeakUp site? (I’m still looking for a way to use Rainbow Garden!)

Also, just so you know, changing the theme doesn’t alter any of the info on the site. It’s all just looks.

As far as a ‘Site Info’ page (using the Text widget in the sidebar?), it would be nice to lay out the editing tricks for the gang, but, much more importantly, you need to lay the ground rules down concerning sexism, racism, ageism, etc-ism, so people will know when they’ve crossed the line. Otherwise, in all fairness, if suddenly someone calls Bachmann something really foul and nasty, like a “nappy-headed Mass ho”, you won’t have any recourse.

Speaking of editing tricks, okay, it also understands the [strike] command. It should come in quite handy when people are describing what a gun-waving, Bible-thumping menace to society nice guy you are!

“Please don’t put more work into this than I do!”

Too late. Okay, it also automatically understands full links and makes them active (it did with that editor page in my first comment, above), let’s see if it does it with just domain names:

Probably not. Full URL:

HyperText Transfer Protocol.

BTW, do I take it you’re not working on anything special for my next 2012 post? As I said, I’ll give you a link to it. Otherwise, I’ll just link to the general site in a post I’ll probably title “The Sluttification of the Blogosphere by The Other McCain and his Vile Henchmen”, citing you as Exhibit A when it comes to subscribing to the “tits get hits” brigade. I’ll show how you demonstrably warped the concensus with your biased lead-in to the vote, all in an effort to satisfy your primordial craving for flesh, flesh, and more flesh.

It won’t be pretty, but hey — exposing the sordid truth never is, right?

Anyway, I’ll probably post it Tuesday or Wed. I’m still toying with your “Work on it.” advice the other day. That opened some interesting doors.

Doc

Leave a Reply but please keep it Legal.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s